On Left Bank

On Left Bank
Right Direction

Thursday, June 29, 2006

AIDS patient not alone , after all

Statesman News Service
MALDA, June 29: While persecution of an AIDS patient is a common phenomenon in rural Bengal, where health officials face an ordeal trying to keep the identification of such persons under cover, the residents of English Bazaar town are setting a welcome precedent by extending a helping hand to an AIDS victim and her nine-month-old son.Members of the Manasa Mandir Committee are playing a prominent role.They have supported both the woman and her son by offering moral and financial support. It was learnt that the woman’s husband, who was a migratory worker, died of AIDS in Malda a few months ago.Doctors said her husband transmitted the deadly virus to her sexuallyDoctors lamented that such a sad thing occured despite the fact that the man worked as a medical assistant in a pharmaceutical shop in New Delhi. The woman, who is at present staying at her in-laws’ house, said: “I am not sure about my fate but I am happy that I received all-round support under such circumstances.“I will be happier if my in-laws, who have extended full support till now, take same care of my son in my absence.”#

No comments: