On Left Bank

On Left Bank
Right Direction

Monday, September 22, 2008

Three held for kidnapping trader

Statesman News Service
MALDA, Sept. 22: The Malda police have arrested three people in connection with a kidnap charge made by Mrs Susmita Mallick. According to Mrs Mallick, eight people had kidnapped her husband Mr Bishwadeb Mallick, a trader and had sought a ransom of Rs 1.5 lakh.

She also complained that police had initially refused to register the complaint and had suggested to patch up with the offenders. The Malda SP, Mr Satyajit Bandyopadhyay, stepped in after hearing the allegation and arrested the accused persons. According to Mrs Mallick, eight people had confined her husband Mr Bishwadeb Mallick, a trader of Malda, in Raiganj, North Dinajpur district, and had demanded Rs 1.5 lakh from him.

“Yesterday, a man had called him for installation of water purifier but when he arrived at the given address the youth and his associates confined him,” Mrs Mallick said.

“They has called me up to inform me of my husband's kidnap and told me to send the money at a certain address in Malda if I want my husband to be released. I could, however, manage to collect Rs 55,000 only and deposited it with a person at the given address in English Bazaar town to free my husband. I also informed police about the matter at the same time,” she said.

Today, police caught three youths Biltu Roy, Tamal Roy and Debabrata Dutta, who had come to the English Bazaar address to collect the cheque.

“I have asked the English Bazaar police station to accept a written complaint. I would also inquire if there was any attempt to hush up the case,” the Malda SP, said.

No comments: