On Left Bank

On Left Bank
Right Direction

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sujapur MLA N Malda candidate


MALDA, March 26: The Congress has decided to nominate Sujapur MLA Miss Mausam Benazir Noor to compete for the North Malda constituency instead of Dr AN Khan Choudhury, due to the Swiss citizenship issue clouding his name. The district Congress president and South Malda candidate, Mr AH Khan Choudhury, claimed yesterday that his elder brother Dr AN Khan Choudhury would compete on a Congress ticket for the North Malda Lok Sabha seat.


Hence, Dr AN Khan Choudhury was surprised at Miss Noor's nomination this morning: “Everything was on the right track, but last night a senior Congress leader from New Delhi called me to report that the high command had rejected my candidature. I was told that Miss Noor would contest from North Malda instead.” He went onto claim: "Some congress leaders in Delhi have stabbed me in the back. My supporters will boycott the elections in protest.”Regarding the Swiss citizenship controversy, Dr Choudhury added: “I produced Government of India papers stating that the Centre has decided to register me as an Indian citizen. We are waiting for papers from Switzerland. The AICC had given me the period until 6 April to obtain the papers. However, last night the leaders changed their decision.”


Miss Noor, who is Dr AN Khan Choudhury's niece, submitted her bio-data directly to the West Bengal PCC chief Mr Pranab Mukherjee and claimed the ticket for the North Malda parliamentary seat, while her two maternal uncles were camping in New Delhi for tickets.Miss Noor said this morning: “Last night an AICC member called and told me to prepare myself to compete for the North Malda seat. However, nothing has been finalised or officially announced.” n sns



No comments: